Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Book Basket: Book Worms

Satch loves a good book as much as his mama...so I made another small investment in used books. I think that beautiful illustrations are just as important as a good message and these books have both!!!

Here's what we're diggin': (click on photos to learn even more about why we love 'em!)
I'm crazy about the illustrations in this book which were created using gouache, watercolor, collage, pencil, and ink with great attention to detail. The rear cover is covered in buttons! Every inch is a feast for the eyes...and the story is a feast for the soul. Thank you, Simms Taback!

Artist, Stephen T. Johnson created this masterpiece! I bought this book because it presents the alphabet in a fun and creative way...in an urban setting where a simple sawhorse resembles the letter A. It tickles the imagination and engages the reader to look more closely at the world around them.

A hilarious book by one of my favorite illustrators, Maira Kalman, whom you may recognize from The New Yorker. Her gouache paintings are very whimsical and her writing style reminds me a lot of Lynda Barry.


This dreamy little jewel is illustrated by Donald Saaf. In case you don't know...
he's one of my favorite painters.


Ruth Kraus & Maurice Sendak join forces to create this book! Wouldn't "having your cake and eating it too" be a more apt title?

This gorgeous book is about the beauty of nature as experience by a child on a night time walk with her parents. The illustrations by David McPhail are breathtaking and almost glow on the page.

Satch loves the hand play to the Itsy Bitsy Spider so when I saw these two books, by Marc Brown, I knew I had to buy them. Poems and hand gestures...fun, fun, fun!


Playing in Puddles....count us in!  This is a David McPhail must-have.

A child ponders the moon illustrated in gorgeous collographs by the talented, Barbara Garrison!

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:10 AM

1 Comments:

Blogger nina beana said...

thanks for the rec's mama! i'm going to keep my eyes peeled for these and more during my two favorite book sales in september!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home