Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Plight of the Co-sleeping Cat

When Elvis came into my life, he wouldn't sleep at night and mewed non-stop. I placed his box next to my bed and let my arm dangle inside the box, but that wasn't good enough. He kept trying to climb out. Finally, I took him out of the box and he crawled onto my chest, right under my chin and went to sleep. And that is how we slept until he was too big to do so and he began sleeping beside me.













It's been many years since Elvis self-weaned from sleeping on my neck. Since then he's made sleeping an art form....













on NYC window sills...
in shoe boxes...

















the bathroom sink...

















the laundry















and in my old studio, the window blinds were a favorite spot.














When Satch was born I figured if I could sleep safely all night with a kitten whose head was no bigger than a walnut, I could sleep safely with Satch. It was a difficult transition for Elvis when Satch arrived. Satch made him nervous...he must have suspected the rough lubbins to come. So, he set up camp in Satchel's crib since Satch wasn't using it anyway.















Nowadays, Elvis will crawl into bed with us, but eventually retreats to Satchel's doll bed.


















I'm signing off early. Have a good weekend, everyone!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:36 AM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that is one beautiful cat--and I love your photo composition! I'm enjoying reading your blog.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elvis is gorgeous! And your photos are wonderful too. That picture of him asleep in the blinds is very funny. He seems to be a cat with character!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thank you. He is a pretty cat, but his breath smells like a dead guppy.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't decide if I like the stretched paw or the head in the blinds pose best.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home