Monday, July 30, 2007

Green

Satchel had his first popsicle. It was a lime fruitsicle. I wanted to make my own, but the mold that I have produces rather large and heavy ice pops so I searched for the most natural product I could find.



Satchel had his first popsicle. It was a lime fruitsicle. I wanted to make my own, but the mold that I have produces rather large and heavy ice pops so I searched for the most natural product I could find.



Edy's fruit bars are made with fruit juice. They make one type with sugar and one without (sweetened with Splenda). I chose the one with sugar because I would rather that Satch have a little sugar than some synthetic carcinogenic sweetener.

Later, when I spotted Satchel's tongue I gave the box another look and found that there were color additives...so the search continues.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a smaller mold so I can make my own pops from pure fruit juice.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:08 AM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an immunologist, and can say with some certainty that unless Satch has a compromised immune system or other disorder, a little bit of Splenda or color additive (read: not in excess) is extremely unlikely to cause cancer or anything else.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks, Doc. I'm aware of that too.
That is why I didn't toss the popsicles merely over a green tongue.
But as a general rule, I stay away from artificial sweeteners
...artificial anything. I prefer that our diets be as healthy as possible. I prefer organic to non (especially for berries), and prefer natural to synthetic. In the meantime, I'm looking for a smaller mold so we can make our own yummy pops.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotcha. Not everyone knows that, which is why I said something. There really isn't a lot of public knowledge on what our bodies do with chemicals. Equal showed potential carcinogenic properties in lab rats when given in high dosage, and all of a sudden all low-calorie sweeteners are carcinogenic. There's a lot of paranoia. In my experience the average American (and maybe even the average blog reader) doesn't know that our bodies have livers and immune systems just for the purpose of getting rid of that stuff.

Personally I think food minus the chemicals (which I've only experienced in-mass in eastern Europe) just *tastes* better. But until I'm finished with my Ph.D. and have a budget that supports organic options, I'm counting on my liver and immune system to take care of me. ;)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Just dropped out of the blogosphere and landed right here in Popsicle-ville. Have loved scanning around your blog. So many of your posts speak right to me. Will certainly become a regular visitor.

I realize it may still be cold where you are, it is very cold here in The Middle, but when you get the notion to make a popsicle again, try making one with applesauce. Just the sauce, no juice. They have that wonderful fruit thing going for them and because they are sauce, they don't melt as quickly, so little people have a chance to finish them with less drip! Flavored applesauce, wit no sugar, is also pretty easy to find!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home