Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Mom to Mom: Katurah Richmond

It's May...and I'm honored to introduce...

Mom:
Katurah Richmond
Of:
Ai Ana (9), Isabella (7--almost!), Asher (3)
Where:
Lusaka, Zambia
Blog:
Luckybeans

1. In what ways has becoming a mother changed you?

After leaving high school, I was certain I would
conquer academia. I wasn't sure how precisely (law?
medicine? women's literature?), but Harvard was
definitely in my future. I had scholarships lined up
and plans well-laid. Unfortunately that bit about
"mouse and men" seems to apply to mice and women as
well.
Simon and I got married when I was 19, and within two
months I was expecting. Ah. Well, that does change
one's perspective quite a bit. It was a harrowing time
for me, and I had to completely re-asses my deepest
values and sense of identity. In the end, I decided to
be a stay at home mother (which, for the record, no
one will ever condone when you are 19 years old other
than your fabulous family-- especially those ladies
who feel compelled to stop and lecture you in the
aisles of the grocery store). I threw myself into this
new role, reading everything I could find, taking
development and psychology classes at the local
University, and also combating severe depression.

Over time, I have come to appreciate our decisions
more fully, and I would never change them. I am
immensely grateful for the opportunity I've had in
being a young parent. I am a much more relaxed, happy,
patient, and confident person, with a clear sense of
purpose, values and direction.

Schools will always be there. My children will not.
2. What is one tip you would like to share about
mothering?

Appreciate the importance of the role you play as a
mother-- in this aspect of your own life, your family,
community and society in general. Educate yourself and
give your actions vision and purpose. And laugh a lot.

3. What is your creative outlet/medium?

I enjoy anything that gets those tired synapses firing
in inspired new ways whether that is sewing, cooking,
teaching preschool or photography. But most of all,
writing.
4. How do you find time for creativity?

Necessity. It is amazing how you can find time for
things once you realize your sanity depends upon it.
:) However, as the children have gotten older, it has
become much easier. They are now content to work in
parallel with me, glancing over at what my project
happens to be and then getting back to their own.
5. Why do you blog/journal?

Honestly? For my family who do not live in Lusaka,
Zambia. At least, that is how it started. I also
appreciate how it gives me a chance to record the
little bits of daily life I want to remember, and
causes me to pause and enjoy a moment of humour or
beauty on a daily basis.

(Frankly, I am always quite shocked anyone else reads
it).
6. Which blogs do you frequent?

Um, a lot. You can see my list of links on my blog.
But I absolutely-everyday-check:
7. Who are some bloggers you would like to meet?

See, that question's just not fair.
Really, it would be easier to say who I wouldn't
like to meet (er, perhaps not...psychos). I would
be thrilled to meet anyone who a) reads my blog or
b) has theirs read by me. The number of wonderful,
encouraging, generous women I have met through the
blog world is an astonishing gift I never expected.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:44 AM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great interview! I love Katurah. :)

5:56 PM  
Blogger Shana-Lynn said...

Very nice interview, great to learn more about her. Thanks for sharing Katurah.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing such a wonderful interview. Katurah is one of my favorite bloggers.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home