Monday, May 07, 2007

Heads Up!
















We had a sweet, but short visit from Julie of self-definition on Sunday...and had a wonderful time at the Kinetic Sculpture Race on Saturday where we met the amazing Shelley (and family) of "But Wait, There's More". I can't tell you how cool it was to meet the person whose poetry makes me sigh. I was standing on a park bench feelin' an ee cummings sort of vibe when I spotted her and swooped in for a hug. By the way, if you've never been to a kinetics sculpture race, I urge you to pack up the kids and go. We artists take our silliness seriously and you won't be disappointed. My favorite kinetic sculpture was Fifi!

ARKNTINA' s flicker set
Satch kept getting compliments on his hat...well it's actually my hat! It was made by Lisa Shaub. Back in the 90's when I lived in Greenwich Village, I ran into this talented milliner and fell in love with her hats. It was hard to choose, but I settled on a two tone floppy fedora made of paper straw with a brown ribbon. It is hand stitched into a spiral at the top. The colors are pear and slate and the dye is so delicate, it has the look of water color.

As an artist, I prefer buying original items from fellow artists because I don't want to look like a Banana Republican or like I fell into the Gap. And I do have a good eye for design. I used to buy my jewelry from an artist named Christopher Roule back when he sold his wares at a local flea. Now he's so haute, I can't even afford to say his name. I had (sadly, it broke) a gorgeous necklace by Wells Jenkins whose table was literally outside my front door on Sullivan Street one afternoon and now she's like...all Oprah!

My point is, if you're looking for a sweet lid, go see Lisa before she's kidnapped by the Brits to make hats for the royals!

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 2:42 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home