Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Snow Day

The snow and sunshine was oh so luring. I found my old wool tights, the ones with holes in the toes that I've restitched many times, and began layering myself, then dressed Satch. I threw a sherpa fleece in the bottom of the sled and sat Satch upon it. The sled once my own, now belongs to Satch...a sled that traveled the best slopes in Central Park: the hill near Belvedere Castle and Cedar Hill. The word, "Paris" is embossed on the front which always makes me think of my friend, Fanchon, whom we plan to visit.

The earth was hard and frozen despite the green tufts of grass and daffodil stems that sprouted from it in small patches. Even the english ivy that edged the trail crackled beneath us sounding more like ice than foliage. We could hear the squeals of delighted children in the distance and the snow muffled sound of my foot steps as I pulled Satch in the sled behind me.













Satch tasted the snow! I asked him if it tasted good and he replied, "brrrrr"!

The lake was almost completely frozen, except for a small oval at the far end dotted by geese and ducks, some of whom were resting along the ice bank. If I squinted through the fog of my breath, the ice looked like a wet sandy beach and suddenly I was reminded of how much I miss the ocean. I grew up on the south shore of Long Island in a town located on the Great South Bay, where one could easily hop on a ferry to Fire Island, a barrier island with beautiful beaches along the Atlantic Ocean. Robert and I vow to bring Satch to the ocean this summer.

Until then...may our toes be warm and our hats in style!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 12:25 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger Veronica TM said...

it sounds like a cold but fun day! satch looks older in this pic, i love his pink cheeks.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Veronica TM said...

oh, and i miss the ocean too!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

look how much he is growing! we all miss him.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home