Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Corners of My Studio

Above the bookcase of art books (and an Etch A Sketch and 60's spirograph) hangs an old garden gate. Below the gate a very old Buddy-L truck, Topo Gigio, some bath soakies from the 60's and some vintage advertising icons (the Kellogg's crew, and Speedy).

Nostalgia is a common thread in my body of work. I often use images or objects from the past as a platform from which to explore and reassess the present.

Above computer desk and my "G4" hangs a very old piece of ornate tin from the side of a building in NYC. I stick magnetic poetry on it or messages to myself. Right now there is a photobooth pic of Robert and me. On the desk: one of my handmade books, pens, a message from pixie, a wire birds nest, a pot of button magnets made from my late grandmother's buttons, Coccoina, Clipiolas and an Aux Herbes de Provence in Crock from Zabar's that once contained Herbs de Provence, but is now the home of inspiration cards from "Living Out Loud" by Keri Smith.


















To the right of my desk are two old wire baskets full of images and ideas...and a signed photo from Groucho Marx (that I must hang). I wrote a letter of adoration to Groucho when I was a wee girl and he sent me a photo signed, "To Wendy, Much love from Groucho", in black marker. I still think he's one of the wittiest people there ever was.














To the left of my desk are storage bins of small art supplies, the larger items are in a storage closet located near the door of the studio.


















Above the bins is an inspiration board made of bent wire to hang cards and photos and such on.














In the middle of the studio a small kitchen table from the 30's...the kind with the silverware drawer and on it, my last surviving carnivorous plant. (The others died in CNY) The enamel table top is covered with a piece of brushed heavy gauge aluminum by Nina Nusynowitz. We sat in her studio one afternoon filing the edges together.


















On the opposite wall, beside one floor to ceiling window (There are two opposing walls of glass in the studio) is my art desk and easel (that belonged to my late father),


















my printing press and old hp printer which I use to make inkjet transfers that look just like polaroid transfers.
Beneath the desk, compressors for airbrushing , ribbon, photos, and a bin full of rubber stamps.

Rumor has it, we may set up my childhood playhouse in another corner of the studio and fill it with pillows for an imagination spot....I'll keep you posted.

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 7:44 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

looks fantastic Wen!! All anything needs is a little touch of Wendy..

8:24 AM  
Blogger Veronica TM said...

What a totally beautiful and inspiring space, Wendy!!!
I can't believe you have a Topo Gigio! I have always loved him. My mom was telling me the other day that when I was Fiona's age I had to eat looking at him dancing.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy, your studio is amazing. I dream of having a creative space like that someday! Enjoy it!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your spcae. it is wonderful, and so you!

2:42 AM  
Blogger pinkcoyote said...

this is such an inspiring share! i love seeing all of your inspirational goodies and tools, as if you have taken me on a personal tour thru your studio today! the light is amazing. i can't wait to hear every detail of what is churning in that creative process of yours! love, p

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home