Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Day

The moon was still in the morning sky when we rose. We could see it clearly above a snow covered rooftop 'tween the branches of the large sugar maple.

We ate spelt toast with warm almond butter and eased into the day.








You sat on the floor sorting through a new box of 96 crayolas to find the color you wanted to draw with while I sifted through a crate full of broken crayons. The sound of peeling paper, snapping wax, and your little boy babbles wrapped around me like soft, welcoming wings.
The oven warmed our house and filled it with the scent of melting crayons.






The larger crayons cracked in the tin so we switched to mini muffin tins.


In the evening we stepped out onto crunchy snow and headed over to Dr. Berry's Christmas party where you played on the mat with the birthing ball and we spent time with a circle of lovely people.







We returned home close to your bedtime so we had a quick meal of soy-dogs and beans, and a few minutes of play before donning pajamas.


We shut the lights.
"Dark, dark" you said before I turned on the turtle light. I noticed the moon shining through the bedroom window and pointed it out to you. Excitedly you signed, "more, more" which is the sign that you use when you want something. Indeed, I would give you the moon if I could. We snuggled and you nursed in the moonlight.

Sweet dreams, my love!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 9:23 PM

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Wendy, I love the picture of the cute boots. who makes them? and also, i cannot tell from the picture whether they are children's or adult size. they seem big, but the pattern is all dreamy and more suitable for children;) i'd love to have a pair, hence the manufacturer inquiry.
thanks and bye!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hi Nina-Nana. The boots are mine. I bought them at the gap in NYC some years ago after stepping in a puddle of slush on my way home from the office. They ARE gap kids, but my feet are a size six and the girls XL fit perfectly. I love them too for the same reasons you describe.

Have you seen THESE?
or
THESE?

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wendy,
thanks for the answer.You're lucky that your feet are so tiny. Too bad I got my feet size after my father, not my mom (she is size 6, he isn't;) But I can still remember trying on her shoes back at the start of my teens, when our feet-size still matched and I felt like a real grown-up walking in front of the mirror, all tall and important. Nowadays I seem to try to reminiscent those days by searching for things that make me feel like a child again.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just did a batch of crayons but managed to keep them in too long (10 minutes) and the colors blended. I think I will try 150 instead of 350 next time. It may be a difference in altitude or just the fact that I have a tendency to do more than one thing at once and forget about things. I don't know. I'll let you know how the next batch goes.
Oh, by the way...I went to Michael's today and went a little crazy on kids art supplies. I mostly bought the dollar ones but then I found those pens that only work on certain paper and, you can guess the rest :)

2:51 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

oh please let me know how i works at 150. my oven wouldn't even go that low, the lowest setting was 170 and the crayons wouldn't melt after 25 minutes. so we cranked it to 350. the colors were a bit swirly, but still quite pretty. i'm very interested in your results.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

UPDATE: if the crayons break in the larger tins you can fit the pieces together like a puzzle (even mix up the colors) and put them back in the oven for a minute or two. They'll fuse back together :-)

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home