Saturday, October 21, 2006

Quickies

These days I'm all about quick meals. Satchel has entered toddlerhood...enter temper tantrums. I just can't seem to make anything that requires...time. I haven't even made fajitas in ages...the chopping the grating, salsa, guacamole is too tricky to juggle with a tot at my heels. So here are two of Satchel's favorite "quickies" and if you have some favorites that you would like to share with me, please comment...I can use all the help I can get.

Tuscan Pizza
  • Flat Bread or "pocketless pita"
  • Pesto (jar or fresh)
  • Smoked fresh mozzarella
  • Chopped sun dried tomatoes
Spread a thin layer of pesto onto the flat bread. Sprinkle with cheese and top with sun dried tomatoes. Bake in oven until cheese is golden and bubbles. *I've made this an appetizer for parties and it's always a hit!


Tricked Out Mac & Cheese
Steam butternut squash (we buy chopped to save time) in a pot with 1/2 c water until tender (16-20 minutes). Meanwhile begin cooking mac & cheese according to directions on box. When squash is cooked, drain, mash and set aside. When macaroni is cooked, stir in all remaining ingredients (the soy doesn't need to be cooked) and mix thoroughly.

*My husband hates squash, but can't tell it's in this dish...and the color blends in with the cheese.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 1:09 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Do you eat eggs?? Well if you do here's a hint. I make about 1/2 dozen scambled eggs up after the kids go to bed on Sunday and portion them out on sealable plates with microwaveable bacon on the side. Then all I have to do in the am is pull out a sealed plate, pop it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and poof.. homeade healthy breaskfast in seconds. I do the same with french toast and bluberry pancakes!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Excellent idea, Jules. I can't believe I haven't thought of pre-cooking. We eat free range organic egss, but Satch won't eat egg unless it's in the form of an omelette...with cheese! He LOVES my banana pancakes...now I'll make extra and freeze 'em. (Must figure out a way to add some extra protein to the pancakes)

I just found THIS recipe on the vegetarian baby website.

He also loves fresh fruit and eats it 2-3 times a day. I must find some creative ways to add veggies and protein. He's getting to that fickle stage. He now HATES potatos.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Ohh.. almost forgot.. I have another idea. We do grilled cheese with tomato soup. Obviously, tomato soup would be impossible to serve to a toddler in a bowl but it's not when you put it in a mug with a straw! I make the soup up them put it in a cup for Nate and then make the grilled cheese. That way it's had enough time to cool down and I take a test sip before serving him to make sure it's cool enough!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Ohh.. almost forgot.. I have another idea. We do grilled cheese with tomato soup. Obviously, tomato soup would be impossible to serve to a toddler in a bowl but it's not when you put it in a mug with a straw! I make the soup up them put it in a cup for Nate and then make the grilled cheese. That way it's had enough time to cool down and I take a test sip before serving him to make sure it's cool enough!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home