Friday, May 26, 2006

Mama Tribe

I want to thank all the kindred mamas who visit my blog. Thank you for your comments, your cards, your letters, your emails. I am grateful for your presence in the world and appreciate your voice on my blog. Below is an email that I received from an amazing mama in Oregon! (posted with permission)


To: wendy@
Subject: Your blog...
Date: May 25, 2006 9:50 PM

Hiya Wendy,
I just wanted to say bravo to you. I came across your blog while browsing other blogs about scrapbooking, art, parenting....Ali Edwards (one I visit often), Keri Smith, then one named Pixie, then yours...
I just had to tell you how much I admire you. For doing as you believe, for standing up for your son, for being who you are! I have 3 children, aged 15, 9 and 7. I so remember those days of seeing other Mamas spank, hit their babies, refuse to nurse because it was "gross", laugh about circumcising their sons because, after all, he caused them pain during birth, so hey, it's a pay-back.....blech, blech, blech....

I hear the wee-bit of self doubt though, I think, in your posts....is it indeed ok to not leave your son on the sheet when he cries for you, or is that what causes them to be insecure and cry for you more....
I can tell you! (o; My kids are older, were never left to cry (though some days and nights we cried together....lol), and were never left to toughen up. My kids are secure, trusting and confident people. My kids are what my pediatrician calls the result of *giving* in to their wants and needs as babies, not leaving them alone, not believing that I was spoiling them or creating monsters....because in his belief, AP parenting creates the opposite. He claims in his practice he can tell which babies are AP'd and which are not. Which are more full of life, trust and confidence....the AP ones.

It's not always easy. Our kids are not always happy, or secure. They sometimes still need me. But I would not have it any other way. Parenting is hard no matter how you do it or look at it....but parenting from the heart just feels better, and you see your hard work and selflessness creating strong, secure and confident beings.
You are doing an awesome job!!!!

Love,
Another Mama....in Oregon.....
Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 3:47 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home