Thursday, May 04, 2006

Lunch

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words
but rather short, easy words like 'What about lunch?'”

- Winnie the Pooh



Satch went on another food strike, refusing food that he normally loves. The only thing he will eat these days is yogurt so I save that for dinner. It seems having a full belly induces a good evening nurse and a restful sleep. (restful meaning: 3-4 nurses at night as opposed to 10) Since he really enjoys feeding himself, I decided to try some Horizon Organic Monterey Jack cheese for lunch, sliced paper thin and cut into tiny bits. Satch picked up a piece and thoroughly investigated it before putting it in his mouth. He then nodded is head and chanted "Mah, Mah, Mah" which in Satchel-ese means "More". He is very cautious about the food that I put on his tray, yet he will stick a piece of lint in his mouth without even a moment of hesitation when he sees me coming to take it from him.

I love to watch him eat...the way his little fingers pinch bits of food and the serious expression on his face as he examines a new flavor. I especially love when he gets a piece of food caught on his lip and then uses the back of his chubby fist to push it back into his mouth.

I try to etch these images in my mind...I photograph, I write, I record his voice.

I was thinking a lot about what Christina Rosalie wrote today regarding journaling,
"There must be some secret in this: that memory only holds so much. Perhaps we would not move with agility into the future of each moment, if we could fully contain the memory of each passing day. But days like today beg for more. More noticing, more attention".

This too, is why I keep coming to the page in both print and pixels to remember moments of wonder and beauty.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:39 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger pinkcoyote said...

the ever-changing satchel and your responses and interactions with him are always inspiring. you are my model! and the way you describe him...he is so lucky you are keeping records-what a wonderful way for him to identify with his own essence when he grows older.
thank god christina's back onblog! i was having withdrawals, i'm on my way there now... it was good to stop into your cozy kitchen this morning, kindred mama. xoxoxo

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home