Monday, May 29, 2023

 


 

Dear Satchel,

Happy 18th ride around the sun! 
Happy 10, 512, 000, 000 (ten billion five hundred twelve million) miles!

You have grown so much over the last year, so many milestones.  You stepped out of your comfort zone and went to prom and actually had fun.  Your hard work and determination did not go unnoticed...you were awarded a scholarship for trade school.  You will be donning the NHS stole at graduation on Wednesday.   You will soon be taking your driving test, landing your first job, buying a car, and starting trade school.  You are beginning your journey into adulthood.  I could not be more proud of you and I know that your dad is proud of too.  "Good job, keep at it", he would say.

Today we will keep our tradition of going out to eat on your special day and I made the dirt cake that you requested. We will be dining per requested on the porch at Tacqueria Guadalajara which was your dad's fave and he'll join us there is spirit.  I am reminded of the paintings of Frida Kahlo that hang on the walls of the restaurant.  Frida (one of my favorite arstists) went through extreme hardship in her life.  She wrote these words in her diary..."we can endure much more than we think we can".  I think of all we've endured, and I believe that good things are on the horizon. 


Eighteen years ago today you entered this world in time for brunch.  The window to our room faced Little Italy, which we snarkily called micro Italy because it was so small in comparison to NYC.  The sun was shining and there was a bird on the window ledge looking in at us.  I could hear the nurses talking about how "what a cutie" you were and one of them said, "OMG he knows his name".  I told her that we talked to you by name during the entire pregnancy.  You were so calm, so aware, taking in all the new sights and sounds.  It was an extraordinarily beautiful day because you were in the world.

As always, on this anniversary of your birth, may you always know how deeply loved and admired you are....and that I celebrate you...today and every day!  You have filled my life with laughter, creativity, adventure and joy! 


Thank you for being my son.
Thank you for the reciprocal gift of unconditional love and all the ways you show it.  



(for beautiful you are my world, my true)



Happy 18th ride around the sun, dear Satchel!


All my love,
Mama
(Posted at the time of your birth)


 


 

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 12:50 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home