Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Recyclobot

"Pixie, kobold, elf and sprite
are all on their rounds tonight;
In the wan moon's silver ray" - Joel Benton






















Satch wanted to be a robot for Halloween. So the two of us built one with some boxes and bits we had in the studio. (seen here without his silver arms made from dryer tubing)






















We purchased some non-toxic silver paint and a few tiny LED lights to illuminate the bottle cap eyes and the top of his head. Other than that, it's a completely recycled costume. Satch was in charge of the paint and I was in charge of the hot glue and I think we made a purdy good team.



* The tiny LED lights can be found in the wedding section at Michaels and are often used to illuminate balloons.










He took his Recyclobot for a spin at a Halloween party at our local community center and he made quite a scene. Children circled around him trying to get a closer look, and parents were taking photos. I could hear him inside saying, "I'm not a real robot...I'm just pretending".

















Eventually he took the costume off, but only so he could enjoy a lollipop at the bus stop.






















 When I was a child, we always made our own costumes. I loved making them...and this time, I didn't run out of paint.




Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:27 AM

10 Comments:

Blogger tracey clark said...

those pix are some of the coolest costume pix ever!!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What awesome photos and a great costume. And seriously, "I'm not a real robot...I'm just pretending" just cracks me up with the cuteness!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the box that makes the robox. That, and the mama behind the man.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

soooo cute - and, of course, made me think of the flight of the conchords' robot song!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Elise said...

Wow, that is one special recyclobot.

You are a brilliant team and have come up with an amazing robot.

I am thinking that you would have inspired some of the other children at the Halloween party at the local community center. I bet some of them went home asking their parents if they could make a robot as well.

Wendy, you and dear Satch bring smiles to so many people. Thankyou.

Lots of love and hugs
Elise

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT is SO cute Wendy!!! love the light up eyes, so clever! well done mama.

I made BOTH of the kids costumes this year...i think they are so happy that their mama did it for them and BEST of all we had so much fun doing it together. pics will be posted!

i love how Satch said he's not really a robot he's just pretending, that was funny.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That's so classic. I love it. I made a similar one for my little guy 2 years ago. (http://wildwilliams.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html) We garbage picked someone's printer for wires and such. He was quite a hit too. i always try to make my kids' costumes... it is so much fun... for ME! Thanks for sharing!

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to be a killjoy here but we made a similar costume for my five-year-old last year and about five seconds after his trick or treating began he fell down because of the weight of the boxes and because his friends took off running without him and he could not run with the dryer vent on his legs. DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN RUN IN THIS COSTUME. Every single thing that I hotglued on the front of the costume broke off in the fall. He was heartbroken and insisted on going back home. Only my husband could get him back out in a modified version, and after all that work he just never wanted to play in it or wear it again. We threw it away. :(

3:03 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Sorry to hear your costume didn't work out, Char. Ours is working out just fine. He's been to several parties and hasn't had a problem yet. Nothing has fallen off either. I measured him and used a short box for the body so his legs would have full mobility. I wouldn't dream of using dryer tubing on his legs, that could be dangerous. We did, however, use dryer tubing for his arms and they work just fine.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Playing by the book said...

Looking for inspiration for a robot costume I discovered this post last week - it's great! I love your photos. I've linked to it today on my own post with our robot costumes:
http://www.playingbythebook.net/2010/07/05/robots-rule/

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home