Sunday, August 06, 2006

Momma Zen


There are so many wonderful things to say about Momma Zen, I could fill an entire blog. I dogeared the pages that I wanted to refer back to and discovered that there are enough pearls of wisdom to string a necklace. Therefore, I decided to let you find your own pearls. The delight in having discovered something is much more magical than having it handed to you.

(If you want clues, however, the author cleverly includes a treasure map on page 171.)


At the end of the first chapter the author writes, "These words thus flow from my heart to yours, from one other mother to one other mother or mother-to-be. I know. I understand. Me too."

And she does know!

Momma Zen touched me deeply. I laughed and I cried and experienced moments of realization so profound that I heard myself exclaim, "YES!" When I closed the book I felt at one with motherhood, at one with my baby, at one with my self.

I felt present.

I felt...at peace.

Momma Zen is not a parenting book. It is a book about motherhood and spiritual lessons woven in moments. It's a book about being a mother. It's a book about being.

(I have no doubt that I will be quoting Karen Maezen Miller time and again on this blog.)

Thank you to Karen, for writing this jewel.
Thank you to Satchel, for being my teacher.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 8:51 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Veronica TM said...

What a beautiful post!
Thank you for the book recommendation. From what you say I think I am going to love reading it.

1:42 PM  
Blogger tracey clark said...

I got a BN gift certificate and I've been dying to use it! Can't wait to pick this up. It sounds wonderful.

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy just wanted to let you know I'm so proud of what you have done and achieved. You’re an inspiration to many! I just don't know where you find the time and energy to do it all. Keep it up girl!

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy just wanted to let you know I'm so proud of what you have done and achieved. You’re an inspiration to many! I just don't know where you find the time and energy to do it all. Keep it up girl!

12:52 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thank you, josette. Finding time isn't easy...it's usually when Satch is napping, or engrossed in something or with Dada. Regarding posting, I often will write a post when I get a moment and save it as a draft. Then when I have more free time, I will post it.

It's like circus arts...juggling, and clowning.....

I get my inspiration and support from other mamas out there like you.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home