Monday, November 03, 2008

Mom to Mom: Sylvia Long

Sylvia Long is one of my favorite illustrators. You may recognize her work from these books. It is with great pleasure to introduce you to Sylvia....


Mom:
Sylvia Long
Of:
Matthew (32), John (28)
Nana to:
Sophie Grace Long (2), Helena Marion Long (4 mos)
Where:
Arizona
Site:
Sylvia Long


1. In what ways has becoming a mother changed you?


Becoming a mother brought out the best in me. I was never happier than when those two little boys were running around the house and yard, just for the sheer joy of the exercise; exploring outside, building cities of tinkertoys and lincoln logs, little league... well, you know. I Loved it all. My, it does go fast - Enjoy every minute!

2. What is one tip you would like to share about mothering?

I think one thing that's important is to be yourself, which is the only thing you can consistently be. That sounds odd maybe, but some young mothers may feel their inexperience is such a detriment that they try to follow someone else's mothering "style", rather than following their own natural instincts. Consistency gives a child a sense of safety and security, which is really important.

3. Motherhood and Art are two very strong passions. Creative mom's of young children often have difficulty finding time for their creative medium. What would you like to share about your experience as a mother/illustrator?

Motherhood is a very strong passion indeed. My love of illustrating books for children absolutely flows from that passion. Managing time efficiently wasn't/isn't easy for me. Perhaps my memory is foggy, but as I recall, there was time for art when my babes were sleeping. When they were toddlers, they spent a day at daycare so I could do my painting, and all too soon, they were off to school. I always just worked it in somehow.

4. What moves you, grounds you, fills your well?

A day out exploring in the woods, on the beach, or along a stream, rejuvenates and inspires me like nothing else can. Hopefully, I bring some of that to my work.

*Most Alive Monday will resume next week.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:29 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Great post! So reassuring hearing that you're not the only mother/creative woman who struggles to make time for both passions.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Wendy, you have this backwards. She is MY favorite illustrator and accompanied me nearly every time I hushed my little baby to sleep without crying. My tears, you see, were caught in my throat at the pure beauty on the page. Thank you.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

well we can share her then, mae. speaking of beauty...have you looked in the mirror lately.
xo

6:57 PM  
Blogger Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Great interview! "Hush Little Baby" is a longtime favorite in our house and also one of my favorite gifts for new babies. Slyvia's passion for motherhood, art,and nature shine through her in beautiful books. And thanks for the link...I am adding some new ones to our library list.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Indeed, Sylvia is soooooo loved. Did you know that, Sylvia, YOU ARE LOVED! xo

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you, ladies!
Sylvia

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home